I’ve started more businesses than I’d care to admit. In my experience, it’s a bit like driving through a heavy fog where you are only able to see a few feet in front of the windshield — you don’t know what’s up ahead until it’s upon you. However, the longer you are an entrepreneur, the better you can navigate through that fog.
My Top 15 Things to do when Starting a Business:
1. Choose an industry that you enjoy.
2. Duck a detailed business plan.
3. Do not wait for a sign from above.
4. You should probably ignore your friend’s and family’s business advice.
5. Legitimize your hustle: Get registered!
6. Test the water or take a leap of faith?
7. Reverse engineer success.
8. Avoid the dangers of perfectionism.
9. Do you want to be successful? Prepare to fail!
10. Hustle like your livelihood depends on it.
11. Never underestimate a little bit of money.
12. The business pivot: Change direction overnight.
13. Avoid unnecessary investors and partners.
14. Why thinking small is the secret to big business.
15. Ignore everything I said. Figure it out for yourself along the way.
All the best,
Chris A. Hughes